Friday, April 18, 2014

The Long Way Up: Mt. Marami


Mt. Marami is another mountain I have conquered recently. It is being said that this mountain is similar to Mt. Pico de Loro of Ternate, Cavite(in which i also conquered beforehand). Mt. Marami as from the word "marami" means many, pertaining to rock formations. As for this mountain relates to Pico de Loro is maybe because of its rocky pillars or towers.



Several blogs say that hiking this mountain is somehow a challenge, depending on the season. When it is rainy season, it could get really muddy and super dry when it is summer season. It was February this year 2014, and it was almost nearing summer season so I was ready for a hot and dry hike.

It is situated in Maragondon Cavite and has 460 MASL. Jump-off point is through Barangay Ramirez, Cavite.  You have to register here first for P20 and get a guide for a fee of 300-500 pesos.

Unfortunately, the guide fee quoted to us was 900 pesos,  I just don't know why it is priced too much. Maybe because we were almost or more than 18 persons in the group? But wait, he is just one man to handle all of us. Maybe it is acceptable if we could get two guides that is priced 500 each, 1000 pesos for two guides to cater all of us 18 right?  


During rainy season, it would be really muddy, but this time we encountered very dusty and rocky trails. I feel so fortunate not encountering a muddy trail, I prefer coughing in the dusty trail rather than the feeling of my shoes sinking in the mud.



They say, we were going to pass two rivers namely: Ilog Kayrayag and Bangkaan River. But in our experience, I don't recall passing through any river except for this one which has a bamboo bridge(is this a river by the way?). I don't know if this was one of the two rivers that they are referring to. Maybe it is almost summer so the water in those rivers may not be anymore visible. 


  
A hut you that will pass by along the trail

After some 4 hours in the ascending and descending in the Talahib trail, the trail to the summit is now clearly visible and we are about to reach the final leg of assault to the summit.


  
Pico de Loro can be seen on the far left


The assault to the summit is us a little bit of rock scrambling where you would have to use your hands. After around 5 minutes, the summit can be reached where you would get a 360 degree view of the landscape around Mt. Marami. One of the prominent landscape you can see is Pico de Loro in the north west direction.


The summit views are nice but the highlight of the climb to Mt. Marami is ofcourse the Silyang Bato.  Silyang Bato is to the west side of the summit and there is a little bit of rock scrambling to be able to reach. You will also need to hop over a small crevice to be able to reach it. What would meet you on the Silyang Bato is the nice views to the West Philippine Sea and of course, the awesome photo ops on Silyang Bato.

It is the Silyang Bato which is famous among other mountaineers as you can sit at the edge of it and have a 'BUWIS buhay pose' yes? lol. Silyang Bato compliments the Parrot's Beak of Pico de Loro wherein from the summit, you have the option to hike your way down and up to the other side to reach the rocky pillar. 

Well, I regretted that when I was in Pico de Loro's summit. I wasn't brave enough to take the leap of faith hiking my way to that monolith, I just told myself I was just going to come back. Taking risks means chances of success or failure, so this time I was brave enough to hike this controversial Silyang Bato and boy, the feeling was so surreal! I am screaming my lungs out while slowly stepping my way up there! It was one of the most unforgettable and risky chance that I have take! While sitting up there and taking pictures, I looked down and SCREAMED again! hahaha. I can't believe I was on the edge of that cliff! Thinking that one wrong move from that edge, I could die. Really. I know I am safe specially with my companions, they helped me to safely get down from that edge after taking pictures(the buwis buhay peg). 



Half of the group at the summit while we are on the Silyang Bato.

  
The small crevice you need to hop over to get to Silyang Bato

After really taking our time on the summit, it is now time to descend and this time, we used the Nuestra de Señora trail. We were quite fast descending taking just some 4 hours.

This was one of the most tiring hike I have ever done. The unbearable heat of the sun resulting for us to slow down a bit on our phasing. Sun burned! But the Talahib trail is an never ending trail I'm telling you. It took us more hours than what we expected, It is a gradual ascent, gradual, gradual and more gradual. I was so tired plus so much irritated because of the scorching heat. But the summit is always rewarding. I always get the feeling of relieved.

Here is a pattern of our Itinerary that you may want to view:
Mt. Marami Itinerary and Budget

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...