Sunday, May 26, 2013

Batangas Twin Hike Part II: Mt. Batulao




As said from the previous blog post (first Part of Batangas Twin Hike Part I: Mt Talamitam), We were on our way to Evercrest from Km. 83. For the bus ride, we had to pay a fare of P25. Upon arriving at Evercrest, tricycle drivers flocked us offering a ride that will take us to the village near the jumpoff. We first rejected their offers as we need to resupply first on the sari-sari stores right in front of Evercrest across the highway. After resupplying, we got a tricycle ride which costs P110 for 4 persons and off we go.





Rest stop at one of the villages near the foot of Mt. Batulao
We started our trek after alighting from the tricycle and it was around 5:30 pm at that time so we had to heighten up our pace a bit because not all of us in our group had flashlights with them, myself included :)

Part of the trail right before arriving at the hut called 'Mini stop' where they sell buko juice and mountain dew for P25.
We arrived at 'Mini stop' around 6 pm, rested a bit and then continued on with the hike. Not long after, we arrived at another hut which is also the location where the fork between the Old and New trail is. Our group decided to take the Old trail and so we continued on with the trek. Daylight started to fade away so we had to prepare ourselves for some night trekking. It was just my first experience hiking a few moments ago and now I'm trekking Mt. Batulao's woodlands at night. The wind was cold and the rustling sound the trees made me a bit scared. And to top it off, the middle group that I am together with that has around 5 people has to share the lights from just two flashlights! I can't even see where I am walking at, until the one holding the flashlight at the front or the rear of the group would shine the flashlight in my direction. It was a really unique and thrilling experience for me. :)

After around an hour of night trekking, we reached Camp 1 to rest up and pay the registration fee of P20 to the person in charge of the campsite. Our group decided to climb a bit and pitch our tents in Camp 3 at around 7:30 pm. After pitching our tents, part of the group started cooking our dinner and some prepared the tarp we would eat on, but as for me, I just rested rested because I was just too tired to even move a muscle :(

We ate our dinner at around 8:30 pm, after that is some socials but because this is just my first time hiking and a twin hike at that, due to so much tiredness, I was ready to go to bed at 9:30 pm. Part of that is maybe because the cold weather at the campsite feels so nice that it makes you really want to go to sleep :)

View of the summit from Camp 3

The tents of our group at Camp 3
The tent I slept on which protected me from the cold of the night now under the searing sun.
Our call time was 5:30 in the morning, and after prepping up a bit, we started our assault to the summit at 6:00 am. After ascending camps 4 to 7, the trail to the summit is visible and the summit just looks like that it is within reach but after arriving at Camp 8, my body just can't climb anymore :(
A part of our group who can't continue the assault to the summit, and that includes me, stopped at Camp 8. And since we cannot continue anymore, we just had our picture taking session taken at Camp 8. By that time, the part of our group who were fast were already at the summit, lucky them! Just prepare Mt. Batulao, I'll reach your summit the next time I'll be here! :)



Rye, Marton and Derreck trying to go as far nearing the summit.

They failed. They also feel so hungrrryyy and tired also? so they decided to go down, Rye and Derreck went back to the campsite where we pitch our tents and they decided to start to cook our breakfast. Marton stayed with us at Camp 8 to have some rest and also picture taking moments.

So close, yet so far >.<



Happy me! Even though I did not reached the summit of Batulao, Im happy and proud of myself that I have been this far! Really! Take note after descending down from Camp 8, I can already feel that my monthly period starting to you knowwww, and for my first day of period, Dysmenorrea sucks! It cause me so much pain that makes it hard for me to descend from Camp 8.. Good thing I had bought girlthing supplies on the store we saw before we head to Talamitam. Yes, I anticipated that its already coming. haha :))



We started our descent back to our campsite at 7:30 am because the heat of the sun is starting to get intense and to also prepare our breakfast.




After eating our breakfast, we started to break camp at around 10:00 and by 10:30, we were ready to go.




We left Camp 3 at 11:00 am and after refilling our water supply from the store at Camp 1, we were on our way back to Everecrest using the Old trail again.

View of Camp 1 from the Old trail.
Once again, the heat of the sun slowed us down but this time, we had lighter packs so the trek wasn't as hard as the day before. By around 12 noon, we were already the hut where the fork for New Trail and Old trail is.

Me at the hut in the fork of New and Old trail, gulping down an ice cold Mountain Dew that costs P25
Still under the heat of the sun, we walked down to the village until we can get a ride from the tricycles which would carry us back to Evercrest. By around 1 pm, we were already back at Evercrest and we took a bath and freshen up at the sari-sari store just across the highway. We took a ride back home around 1:30 pm, with the Manila bound buses and paid a fare of P106. And that concludes my Batangas Twin Hike experience, which is also my first hiking experience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...