Sunday, October 5, 2014

Whaleshark Encounter: The Tuki Experience - Oslob


Brgy. Tan-awan of Oslob was recently getting been famous for travellers and adventure seekers because of the appearances of the whalesharks (locally known as Butanding/s). It was 2011 when the town of Oslob been getting popular because of the whalesharks and over the years it has been a destination for locals and also foreign travellers who might as well wants to encounter this harmless creature on earth. 



We have to wake up as early as 5:30 am to prepare ourselves catching the first batch for the whalesharks encounter. From Aaron Beach Resort we drove via boat for a few minutes to the briefing area. Where we were informed about the do's and dont's when swimming with the whalesharks.


After the quick briefing session we were drove to our designated area where we have to wait for the whalesharks.


We immediately get into the water and tested our gears under. While waiting for the whalesharks, I was preparing myself for the magical encounters with the gentle giants. This time, I was also thinking and actually getting nervous asking myself, will I be scared when the gentle giant is beside me? What should I do if they are approaching my position? Will I panic?



The gentle giants finally showed up and they were feeding by some boatmen by krills. Their mouth was so big that it can even swallow me. :D


As soon as we saw them, we wasted no time for a 30 minute encounter with them, I immediately handed my gopro to one of our TOSWFA representative (who also acted as our guide while swimming with the whalesharks). I am slowly observing them under water and I was in awe and surprised how huge they were.


I didn't waste a single moment and swam with them and our guide was capturing our moments with the gentle giants under the water.



These Whalesharks or the Gentle Giants are also known as Butanding/s. And they were locally called here in Cebu as Tuki.



There were a lot of small fishes swimming around and following wherever these Gentle Giants will go.



We saw more than 2 whalesharks and they differ in sizes. There is this whaleshark which they say or estimated as huge as a bus. Yes a BUS. so imagine if they will open their mouth and you are in front of them. Scary right? Even if they are harmless, what if they accidentally swallowed you? Hehe just my imagination :p


I was hanging up on our boat when suddenly one the gentle giants is swimming its way beside me, I panicked of course! I was in a hurry to get up on our boat then I got scared when I accidentally kicked my feet because of my panic moments and my feet actually touched the body of one of the whalesharks. I thought they might be angry with that scenario. But the good thing was that they act as if nothing happened.

having my me time with the gentle giant :)



Some tourists actually chase the gentle giants but I have no plans of doing that, I just stayed on my place and wait for them to passed by. Our guide thought we were having a hard time get into the water to get a good shot with the giants because we were floating because of the vests. So he said we could actually remove it and he will look for us at all times so that we do not drown. Anyway I am always holding to the outrigger of our boat.

They were harmless and upon seeing them I actually realized how beautiful was the life underwater. Its just one of the many things to discover by God's creation. This magical encounter with the whalesharks will stay in me forever <3



DAY 1
DAY 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...